Changed email, but verification email still not received after 1.5 hours

Hi Team.

I changed the email on my Netlify account, and after 15 minutes of not receiving the verification email, I clicked on “resend verification email”.

It’s now 1.5 hours after I selected to resend the email, and email still not received. How long does it usually take? Should I wait for a few more hours? Or click to resend again?

Thank you.

I waited for 5 hours, still no verification email. I go back into my account to resend verification, but account had reverted back to my old email. I change my old email again to my new email, and still no verification email after another 5 hours of waiting.

I need to set up my new email to receive notifications when forms are submitted on my website.

did you check your spam? If you still didn’t see the verification can you please share the email you are trying to receive a verification to?

Hi, @Presence. Yes, all email deliveries to that email address are failing as there is no email service configured for this domain at this time.

The basic record for email service is the MX type DNS record. There are no MX records for the domain theteacherofpresence.com:

$ dig theteacherofpresence.com MX

; <<>> DiG 9.18.19 <<>> theteacherofpresence.com MX
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 62188
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;theteacherofpresence.com.	IN	MX

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
theteacherofpresence.com. 1800	IN	SOA	dns1.p01.nsone.net. domains+netlify.netlify.com. 1701684682 43200 7200 1209600 3600

;; Query time: 38 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8) (UDP)
;; WHEN: Wed Dec 06 19:21:54 PST 2023
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 131

We have a support guide about how to fix the email not working here:

I did not copy my records before switching name servers and my email (or other service) stopped working. How do I fix this?

Personally, I would recommend solution # 3 from the guide above in this particular situation.

Hi, @Presence.

Netlify doesn’t provide any email service. In order for email to be delivered to this email address, you must enter the DNS records required by your email service. Netlify isn’t an email service so we don’t know what “the DNS records required by your email service” are.

To fix this, you must configure the DNS for your email service. I know you have not done this because the MX records are missing. You cannot have working email service without working MX records. Again, as the dig output above shows, you have no working MX records for the domain theteacherofpresence.com. The email delivery isn’t working because you have not done what is required for it to function correctly.

If you tell Netlify what the correct DNS records are for your email service, we can help you to get them created. Again, we are not the email service so we don’t know what the correct DNS records will be. That is information you must find and share with us to proceed with that solution.

I would suggest a different solution, though. I recommend using solution # 3 from that support guide above. That solution is:

1. Login to GoDaddy and change the DNS service back to their DNS service.
  2. At Netlify, create the DNS records that point the webhosting to Netlify using the external DNS instructions

That should reactivate GoDaddy’s email service and allow the email address change confirmation emails to be delivered and the website will still be hosted at Netlify.

If that doesn’t work or if there are any questions, please let us know.

I appreciate your time and effort, Luke. :+1:

I will try what you suggest and see how I go.

Thank you.

All working now - I can send emails from my domain email and it can also receive emails.:blush::+1: