Home
Support Forums

Bandwidth quota almost used up: questions

netlify site name
keen-bhaskara-f5872f

I am using Netlify to deploy my jekyll blog to GitHub Pages. I just got an alert that my 100GB monthly quota is about to run out?

…I find that either surprising or amazing. :sweat_smile:

I published a blog post last week that has had lots of views and contains multiple large JPG images. Today I have reduced their size by optimising them using JPEGmini, but perhaps it’s too little too late? I have 3 days remaining on my quota, so not a big deal either way.

So, I think I have misunderstood my usage of Netlify and where the buck stops?

By deploying using Netlify to GitHub Pages I assumed (likely incorrectly!) that:

1. the jekyll build would happen at Netlify
  2. static pages would be sent to GitHub Pages
  3. bandwidth would be from GitHub Pages (and so free as in beer).

Why is this not the case?

Thanks for any help.

Hi @gingerbeardman

In short, no.

As you have shared the site name keen-bhaskara-f5872f, this is happening.

Rather it the built site is deployed to Netlify’s global CDN.

As the site is deployed to Netlify (which is why you have a site that ends in netlify.app), bandwidth is that of Netlify, not GitHub Pages (which is a github.io address.)

As noted Netlify is free up to 100GB/month

Perhaps have a look at this documentation

Sorry, I can’t really make sense of your answers.

Something in particular I have failed to explain satisfactorily?

My first question was a “why?” and your response was “no”. This makes no sense to me.

Your second answer, I think I understand.

Your third and fourth answers are restating things from my original post.

The link is also of little use to me, as it’s about GitHub rather than Netlify.

So, can I have things work the way I summarise in my list in the first post?

I misread the question. Apologies.

Hi, @gingerbeardman. Following up on this “why” question:

This site isn’t hosted at GitHub:

https://keen-bhaskara-f5872f.netlify.app/

That is clearly hosted at Netlify. My question for you is: Why do you think that is hosted at GitHub?

Note, even the custom domain (which you didn’t share yet so I’ve redacted the actual value), points to Netlify, not to GitHub:

$ dig +noall +answer <redacted custom domain>
<redacted custom domain> 300	IN	CNAME	keen-bhaskara-f5872f.netlify.app.
keen-bhaskara-f5872f.netlify.app. 20 IN	A	54.241.246.27
keen-bhaskara-f5872f.netlify.app. 20 IN	A	184.72.19.87

Again, the custom domain points to Netlify, not to GitHub, and this leaves me a little confused as to why you believed GitHub was hosting this site.

Did you think this routed to GitHub in some way? If so, why did you believe that? For example, are there instructions or documentation somewhere that imply this?

If you do find any documentation which would imply this was going to route to GitHub, I would recommend contacting the author of that documentation to have them correct it. If there is documentation at Netlify which implied this, please let us know and we will get that documentation changed.

If there are other question, please let us know.

That’s a great question. I don’t know the answer.

This is my one and only Jekyll project. Originally it was all done on GitHub with my custom domain pointed at my GitHub Pages, until I wanted to use a certain plugin so I moved the deploy to Netlify after some external advise.

It’s difficult to give a reason for my misunderstanding, but it’s likely a combination of blog posts and tutorials and wording in various places.

For example my GitHub Pages domain
https://gingerbeardman.github.io it is in sync with my Netlify site.

So does Netlify also copy the build result files back to GitHub Pages part of the deploy? I see references to the word “upload” in the build/deploy text: what is being uploaded and to where?

This makes me think that for me to get free and unlimited bandwidth for my static site I should point my domain name at the GitHub Pages site and continue to use Netlify to deploy after changes to my GitHub repo.

Is this a reasonable/correct assumption?

To summarise how this would work:

If you use Netlify to build your site, it will be deployed as a Netlify site and this cannot be changed. So, even if you don’t promote your Netlify site address, if someone finds it and keeps on using it, it will still use up your bandwidth. You can try to deploy the site to GitHub pages from within Netlify, but I don’t know how that would work as I haven’t really explored GitHub Pages.

However, if you just want automatic builds and want to continue hosting on GitHub pages, I don’t see why you’d need Netlify. You can simply using GitHub Actions and deploy that to GitHub pages.

My reason for using Netlify was because GitHub Pages only supports a limited set of Jekyll plugins and I needed to use an unsupported one.

Then as I said, if you build at Netlify, the site will be live on Netlify. You can use some “hacks” to deploy it to GitHub pages from Netlify, but I’m not sure how well that’s supported. Even if you do that, the Netlify site would remain active (however, you can setup a redirect to take users to your GitHub pages site).

As I stated earlier, my GitHub Pages domain is already in sync (a mirror) with my Netlify domain. I don’t believe I’ve done anything special, or a “hack”, for that to be the case. Maybe it’s built-in to the Jekyll build process? That remains an unanswered question from above.

I understand this is a Netlify forum and my use case is sitting on the border between Netlify and GitHub Pages, so I appreciate the continued help.

I’ll repoint my custom domain to GitHub Pages and keep the build on Netlify, and see how it goes.

I think it’s in sync because you’re building your site on GitHub as well:

That ran at probably the same time as the Netlify build. So, both Netlify and GitHub are running the same tool on the same code base, which is probably why it’s same (at least the home page).

Interesting, I’ll look into that.

It shouldn’t be able to build successfully on GitHub because of the extra plugins I’m using. So much I need to look into.

I’ll leave here for now.

Season’s Greetings

1 Like