Authentication error, api limit surpassed

I have tried logging into my account via GitHub but have gotten an authentication error so then when I tried logging in with my email, I get an “API request limit surpassed”. I have been trying this for 2 days and run into the same walls. Please help!

Hi, @Ashwinn. The “API request limit surpassed” means there have been too many failed login attempt for this IP address or email address. You must wait for 30 minutes with no login attempts to remove the rate limit.

After that rate limit is lifted, the following steps can be used to resolve the login issue.

1. Login to Netlify using the email address and password only.
  2. Once logged into Netlify with the email address, change the GitHub account associated with this email address here: https://app.netlify.com/user/settings#connected-accounts
  3. Log out of Netlify.

Once this is done, you should be able to log into Netlify using GitHub or the email address. Both methods of login should work now. If they do not or if there are any other questions, please let us know.

Can the admin set a number of failed attempts that can be made before the account is locked out for 30 minutes? If that number is pre-set, what is it? Thanks!

Hi @kate223 , There are several thresholds of rate limiting for failed attempts that we’re not able to share and it cannot be set per account.