Home
Support Forums

Are there any mandatory DNS records I need to create when adding a custom domain?

Hello!

I have connected a custom domain (findmusa.mx) to my Netlify site, have copied over the MX records, and have changed to Netlify’s name servers with my domain registrar.

The change hasn’t propagated yet, but on one of my devices I saw it temporarily go down completely, so I want to check that I haven’t missed any steps.

• Do I need to add an A record myself or this done automatically?

• Do I need to add anything for www.findmusa.mx to work?

I see some mention about it in the support topic below but I didn’t see anything about it in the documentation.

Many thanks

Hi there! We’ve created this DNS Quickstart guide for this very purpose - to get you up and running as quickly as possible.

Please take a look - we have many resources listed at the bottom, too. And, there are tons of DNS questions you can access through our search! If your problem still persists after reading through all relevant guides, please post again and we will troubleshoot with you.

Hi Perry, thanks so much.

It looks to me like I have followed the guide correctly, but the site is now completely down – do you have any advice for how to diagnose the problem?

Attaching screenshot of what now appears in the browser.

EDIT: I will attempt the other strategy in the guide and use External DNS (Godaddy) instead, and worst case post a separate thread instead.

@vonbal Your site seems to load fine for me in Southern California.