Home
Support Forums

Adding custom domain, getting ¨custom_domain is owned by another account¨

• netlify site name: [gifted-antelope-58b104.netlify.app](https://validokb.netlify.app/)
  • DNS issues
    custom domain we need to use: help.valido.ai
    error msg: “custom_domain is owned by another account”

We used to have this domain on another account (orienteed, app: " valido.netlify.app"), however we removed the custom domain from this URL but we still see the error on the account valido (app https://validokb.netlify.app/)

Can you please help us out?

Hey there, thanks for reaching out and sharing those details! This is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

It sounds like you already started the process to free this domain up for use! Are you in control of the other account that was using this domain? If so, the quickest way to get this resolved is for someone to remove the domain from the account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If that process doesn’t work for you, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Good morning Hillary.

We just added the TXT record on our dns. Can you please check? tnx

Hey there, @valido :wave: Thanks for getting this started.

When I check the TXT record I am receiving a 3(NXDOMAIN) error. This means that your A record is likely not correctly set up. Can you please adjust that and then add the TXT record again? Thanks!

Hello Hillary.

can you please check now? thanks

Hey there, @valido :wave:

Thanks for following up! I am still receiving a 3(NXDOMAIN) error when I check your TXT record. Additionally, I use this DNS checker I can see that your A Record is still not set up correctly.

Here are some additional resources that may be beneficial:

Hello Hillary.

1. can you please indicate me the way you get 3 (NXDOMAIN). Cause we have configured the TXT registry into our dns conf.

2. what do you mean “A Record is still not set up correctly.”? Our “A” records are properly configured to head to a webflow web site (www.valido.ai). We need to configure the netifly app to a subdomain (help.valido.ai) through AAAA configuration.

thanks for your help

Hi, @valido. I do see that this custom domain was used on a different team but it was deleted there recently (shortly after @hillary’s reply on 2022-01-14).

This means you will be able to add the domain to your site now successfully. If you still see errors, please let us know.

1 Like