Added Netlify Nameservers but DNS configuration not working

Hey there,

I have a website on https://bouwbureaubrok.netlify.app/ that needs to go on the externally hosted domain https://www.bouwbureaubrok.nl. This domain is hosted on https://www.mijnhostingpartner.nl/.

The current error status in the Domain Management console is “Check DNS configuration” with the pop-up telling me to add 4 different nameservers. I added these records in 24 hours ago but it didn’t seem to change it. See image below for the entire DNS record zone:

Can anyone give me advice on what I’m missing?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @StefanMusch

If your plan is to delegate DNS to Netlify for bouwbureaubrok.nl you will need to move all existing records to Netlify first. Read [Support Guide] How do I migrate a domain to Netlify DNS with zero downtime? for more information on this.

If you wish to keep DNS for bouwbureaubrok.nl external follow the Configure external DNS for a custom domain documentation—you don’t change NS records in this instance.

If you have any further questions or issues, please don’t hesitate to reply.

Hi @coelmay

Thanks for replying. So if I get this right, in order to delegate I add literally all the records in the screenshot to the Netlify configuration? I just did this, so it might take a little while to propagate, but hopefully that does the trick. Do I need to delete any records on the previous domain host?

Apologies, for this but unfortunately using Netlify DNS won’t work in your case as DNSSEC is enabled for bouwbureaubrok.nl which Netlify currently does not support. This means you will need to configure your domain externally.

You will need to remove the domain from Netlify DNS and remove the Netlify nameserver entries at the registrar then use the external DNS documentation previously linked to configure your domain.

Hey there @coelmay. I set everything back to how it was and added an A record with the following specs to the original domain: bouwbureaubrok.nl A 75.2.60.5. However, this doesn’t seem to work either. Is there something you can do to help? The host does not support ALIAS, ANAME or a flattened CNAME.

I’m not seeing an A record point to 75.2.60.5 for bouwbureaubrok.nl.

% nslookup bouwbureaubrok.nl
Server:		192.168.0.1
Address:	192.168.0.1#53

and

% nslookup www.bouwbureaubrok.nl
Server:		192.168.0.1
Address:	192.168.0.1#53

Zoho Toolskit, Google Admin Toolbox and DNS Checker all agree—there is no A or CNAME record pointing to Netlify. If you have recently updated DNS records though, propagation can take minutes or hours (or days, but rarely I believe.)

Based on the screenshot you shared previously, you would need to create an A record for "" (blank) or @ pointing to 75.2.60.5 and a CNAME record for www pointing to <YOUR_SITE>.netlify.app.

Thank you so much for taking the time to check. It might be that it’s not yet updated, as I included these records in here about ~12 hours ago. See my screenshot below for an overview of the DNS records:

Anything in here that looks off to you? Hopefully it’s just a waiting game now. If not, I don’t really know how to move forward.

Thanks for your help so far.

The AAAA record is not required (and may potentially complicate issues.) Otherwise it looks ok I believe. Do note that propagation can take anything from several minutes to a couple of days.

1 Like