Added MX settings for google domains to DNS but then stopped working

Hi I was setting up a site for a client and added the mx records from google domains so the client could receive their email via Gmail. Over the weekend the client reached out me that they were no longer receiving email.

I searched the forums and used google toolbox checker and added the DKIM, DMARC, and SPF that google provides in their docs. But that got me to thinking. I am using a Netlify contact form on the site.

Could this be the reason that Gmail is not working for my client? Should the SPF values be updated?

I’m attaching a screen shot of the Google Admin Toolbox. Any Help is appreciated .

Netlify forms has no reason to stop your DNS records from working. Receiving emails primarily needs MX records and that appears to be properly configured:

So I’d say this should work fine, especially since it was already working (I assumed this because the client said they were no longer receiving email).

It’s safe to add DKIM, DMARC and SPF records and it’s even recommended to add them. But their absence doesn’t necessarily stop one from receiving email. There’s probably something else that’s wrong, though I’m not quite sure.

Hi, @charlesjuliandev. From the description of the issue, it sounds the this support guide might describe the issue.

If so, please do read that support guide. Also, something I want to be sure to point out is where our support team can and cannot help.

We can help with the following:

• the DNS records themselves (once you tell us what the correct DNS records are)
  • the hosting of the website at Netlify
  • form submissions
  • deployment notifications
  • any/all service which Netlify provides

We cannot help with the following:

• other services hosted with other companies (like your email service)
  • telling you what the correct DNS records are for your email service (only your email service can tell you this)

Again, I cannot troubleshoot your email service because I don’t have any information about it. I can troubleshoot the DNS records themselves because we do host them.

If you have questions about a DNS record not working or if you are trying to create a specific records, please let us know and we will be happy to assist.