“A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1”

Hi all. I was referred from netlify support to post this question in the forum:

I am trying to add my domain, streamerflows.com to netlify DNS.

I keep getting the error:

“A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1”

• This is a brand new domain
  • This domain does not appear to have any previous owners
  • This domain has never been set up with any other service or server
  • I already cleared DNS from uniregistry (scrub name servers)

Possible reason for issue:

• I had no problems setting up several other domains with Netlify. So I changed my default DNS config in uniregistry to be added to new domains, to the following netlify DNS:

dns1.p05.nsone.net
dns2.p05.nsone.net
dns3.p05.nsone.net
dns4.p05.nsone.net

• I stupidly didn’t think about Netlify having variations in the DNS (i.e p06, p07, etc). So maybe this is the reason for the error?

I believe this can only be solved by netlify removing the DNS configuration for this domain. Am I wrong?

I appreciate any help or guidance.

Hi, @Jeffb. Many companies use NS1 for DNS services - Netlify is one of them.

Some other company (not Netlify) already created a DNS zone at NS1 for streamerflows.com. Because of this, it is impossible for us to do so until the other company deletes theirs.

We at Netlify have no way to know who the other company is. Examples of companies that I believe use NS1 (don’t quote me on this as I could be wrong) include:

• Squarespace
  • Heroku
  • Name.com
  • Wix

So, you will need to contact other companies where you have used this domain to see if they made a DNS zone for it at NS1. If they have, they will need to delete it before we can make ours.

Now, your domain isn’t registered at Name.com but if it was these instructions would apply:

You will need to do something similar for whatever service created the DNS zone.

Also, in the meantime, you can use these instructions to connect the custom domain to your Netlify site instead:

If there other questions about this, please let us know.

I appreciate the feedback.

However, the issue is I’ve never used the domain anywhere!

And the domain doesn’t have any previous owners. So how is this possible? I don’t know if what you’re saying is applicable in my case.

hi jeffb,

in cases like this, it is likely that someone who is not you had the domain registered at some point. I’m not meaning to sound snarky (really!) but there is a good chance someone else had the domain streamerflows.com registered at some point since the beginning of the internet :netliheart:

Haha yeah, I totally get where you are coming from. I do agree it’s possible. And I appreciate any help.

But considering there is no archive.org data on the site:

And, I did a full whois history search of the domain:

It is showing 1 domain owner, which is me, purchased on Feb 10th, 2021.

I’ve been doing this for 15 years and have never had any issues like this. I just don’t know what to do at this point (since I was going to use branch subdomain)

Hi, @Jeffb. NS1 is a big player in the DNS space. More and more companies use their DNS services. As part of the support team of a company that uses NS1, this is an issue which I do see frequently.

When our account at NS1 attempts to make a DNS zone for this domain, NS1 tell us we cannot add it because one already exists. There definitely is a zone there for this domain already there but as we didn’t create the zone ourselves, we cannot tell you more about it. (Sometimes it is a “phantom” zone for a zone which got deleted at Netlify but not under our NS1 account. However, I’ve did check originally - and again just now - and that is not the case for streamerflows.com).

The my best guess is that your registrar is using NS1’s DNS infrastructure behind the scenes and that is it they who have created the DNS zone at NS1. I don’t know this for certain but it would explain why the zone already exists there.

Having worked with others on this issue, I do know you can reach out to NS1 and have them delete the DNS zone for your domain. I’m assuming they have some sort of verification process to prove you are the domain owner. Again, other domain owners have been successful reaching out to NS1 supports directly.

Likewise, your registrar’s support team may also be able to confirm this root cause and delete the DNS zone. If my guess is correct and they are using NS1, this will also familiar territory for them.

If there are other questions, please let us know.

Thank you so much for explaining that to me. I will have to reach out to NS1 and have them delete the zone. I didn’t realize that was a possibility. Seriously, thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

1 Like